Washington Headquarters Services Supervisory Personnel Security Specialist in Fort Meade, Maryland
This position is part of the DoD Consolidated Adjudication Facility, located in Fort Meade, MD.
Primary purpose of position Is: Serves as the Division Chief, responsible for directing the operations of the Adjudications Division. The duties are performed at the DoD CAF located in Fort Meade, MD. Final agency determinations concern eligibility for assignment, employment, or appointment to sensitive and non-sensitive positions, and granting, denying, or revoking personnel security clearance or Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access eligibility. These determinations involve all applicants to the Department of Defense; all Active Duty, Guard and Reserve; civilian; and contractor personnel actively affiliated with the DoD. ln addition, to DoD employees, the White House, United States Senate and House of Representatives, when requested by Congress. This position provides recommendations that impact policy and procedures for the operations or Adjudications Division. Plans for future actions and translates plans into actions. Ensures the availability or personnel, facilities. equipment, and other resources necessary for operations. Determines the impact internal/external entities will have on the workforce. Advises Director, DoD CAF on matters related to security clearance actions, including eligibility for security clearance, personnel security policy matters, appeals of DoD CAF actions and similar matters of a non-routine nature. Ensures consistent levels or quality throughout the Adjudications Division. Maintains awareness or any obstacles precluding the Adjudications Division from successfully meeting performance goals/requirements. Supervises the completion of individual security clearance actions and appropriate procedures arc carried out to ensure they arc completed in a proper, timely, and consistent manner.
The Washington Headquarters Services (WHS) is a world-class service organization, with a dynamic workforce and unwavering commitment to service excellence. WHS is the essential services provider for the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), Department of Defense (DoD) agencies, and offices in the National Capital Region.
Learn more about this agency
As a Supervisory Personnel Security Specialist, GG-0080-15, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Plan, organize, and oversee the activities of the Division.
- Develop goals and objectives integrating division and DoD CAF objectives.
- Advise Director, DoD CAF on matters related to security clearance actions, including eligibility for security clearance and HSPD-12, Suitability and Fitness determinations, personnel security policy matters, appeals of DoD CAF Adjudication Division actions/determinations and similar matters of a non-routine nature.
- Manage the development and documentation of operational concepts and strategies for assigned programs/projects.
**This Position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601, For more information see http://dcips.dtic.mil Selection under this appointment authority does not confer civil service competitive status.
If selected, Federal employees currently serving in the competitive service must acknowledge that they will voluntarily leave the competitive service by accepting an offer of employment for a DCIPS excepted service positions.
If selected, non-DCIPS candidates must acknowledge that the position they have been selected for is in the excepted service and covered by DCIPS.
This is an Excepted Service position.**
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0080 Security Administration
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered or exempt from Selective Service, www.sss.gov
- This position is subject to provisions of the WHS/OSD PPP Pilot Program
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment
- Required to participate in the direct deposit program
- This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing
- May be required to submit a financial disclosure statement, upon entering the position and annually, thereafter
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on a military or commercial aircraft.
- May be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays, and/or overtime.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret (SCI) security clearance.
- The DoD Personnel Security Adjudicator Professional Certification will be maintained by completing 100 Professional Developmental Units (PDUs) every two years following the initial certification. Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
All qualifications requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement and clearly documented in your resume.
Washington Headquarters Services provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please view the "Alternate Application" method listed in the "Other Information" section of this announcement. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
You may qualify at the GG-15 level, if you fulfill the following qualification requirement*:*
One year of directly applicable experience that demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Qualifying experience may have been acquired in any public or private sector job, but will clearly demonstrate experience providing subordinate supervisors and staff with direction and advice regarding policies, procedures, and guidelines; advising the Director on matters related to security clearance actions, including eligibility for security clearance, personnel security policy matters, appeals of DoD CAF actions and similar matters of a non-routine nature; and supervising the completion of individual security clearance actions and appropriate procedures are carried out to ensure they are completed in a proper, timely, and consistent manner.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education may not be substituted for experience at the GG-15 level.
PPP PILOT: The Washington Headquarters Service is currently operating under an approved reengineered Priority Placement Program (PPP) pilot for all positions in its serviced workforce. This pilot is application based and current PPP registrants who are registered for activity codes 293A and 295A (regardless of the location) are required to apply to the job announcement via USAJobs in order to exercise their priority placement status. This pilot permits priority candidates to be assessed with other competitive applicants. Anyone claiming priority status must provide a copy of their PPP registration and supporting documentation (e.g. RIF notice, Sponsor's PCS orders, Certification of Expected Separation) at the time of application to verify priority placement and eligibility. Other priority consideration programs will continue under their current operating procedures.
Washington Headquarters Services uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit: http://www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php? title=AlternateApplicationInformation
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, you must be a preference eligible or a Veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Career Transition Assistance Programs:These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Males born after 12-31-59must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration)
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Nepotism: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, an individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
All qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics)::
- Decision Making
- Oral Communication
- Organizational Awareness
- Performance Management
- Problem Solving
- Tools and Methods
For Category Rating: Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the three quality categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, or Best Qualified. Qualified Category = Does not exceed the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement. Highly Qualified Category = Meets the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the Critical Competencies defined below. (This category must be met to be considered under ICTAP procedures) Best Qualified Category = Meets the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and excels in the Critical Competencies defined below. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of Veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category. Veterans' preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
DCIPS Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held (if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service)
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- College Transcript(s), if qualifying based on education
- DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- PPP Registrants/Eligibles: Must submit the following applicable documents: 1) PPP registration 2) PCS orders (if applicable) Employees Serviced by WHS: Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through Washington Headquarters Services DO NOTneed to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your eOPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in eOPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
Employees NOT Serviced by WHS: Must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive).
ARE YOU A DISABLED VETERAN or CLAIMING 10-POINT VETERANS' PREFERENCE? 1. Disabled veterans, veterans, widows, spouses or the mother of a veteran, who are eligible for 10-point veterans' preference, you must provide legible copies of the following: Applicable supporting documents as noted on Standard Form-15 (SF-15). To obtain a copy of SF-15, go to: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/veterans/
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement ( 03/16/2018) to receive consideration.
- To begin, click* Apply* to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
- To view the assessment questionnaire, click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10155748 To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login) all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Failure to submit a complete application package will result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration.
NOTE: To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account: https://www.usajobs.gov/ select Application Status, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process so please plan appropriately.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
Do not email or send hard copy resumes/applications to the Contact Information or Agency Information listed in this vacancy announcement. All resumes/applications received at the addresses listed in the Contact Information or Agency Information will be destroyed and will not be considered for this vacancy announcement.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all information in their resume and documents are legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers/documents submitted by an applicant.
Interchange Agreement: Under Civil Service Rule 6.7 (5 CFR 6.7), OPM and an agency having an established merit system in the excepted service may enter into an agreement prescribing conditions under which employees may be moved from the agency's system to the competitive service. OPM has agreements with:
Nonappropriated Fund (NAF) employees of the Department of Defense. Agreement effective 9/20/91; extended indefinitely. Also see the paragraph on the portability of benefits for nonappropriated fund employees. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/competitive-hiring/#url=PortabilityNAFI
Tennessee Valley Authority.Covers employees in salary policy positions (trades and labor positions are not covered). Agreement effective 10/16/57; extended indefinitely.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Agreement effective 10/1/75; extended indefinitely.
Veterans Health Administration of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Covers employees who occupy medical or medical-related positions and were appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(1) or (3) [formerly 38 U.S.C. 4104(1) and (3)]. Agreements effective 10/31/79 and 5/12/87; extended indefinitely.
Federal Aviation Administration. Agreement effective 11/6/97; expires 12/31/17.
Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration. Agreement effective 01/31/13; expires 01/31/18.
Corporation for National and Community Service. Agreement effective 03/04/13; expires 03/05/19. This agreement includes employees assigned to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG).
For further information and a current list of Federal agencies with interchange agreements, please visit OPM Interchange Agreements. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/competitive-hiring/#url=AppointmentsLeadingNoncompetitive
Supporting documentation: You must provide acceptable documentation of your appointment eligibility by submitting copy(ies) of applicable personnel actions verifying the above criteria with your application.
Agency contact information
Washington HQ Services
DoD Consolidated Adjudication Facility Human Resources Directorate 4800 Mark Center Drive Alexandria, VA US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Stay informed of changes to your application status by signing up for automatic email alerts at: https://www.usajobs.gov/Applicant/Application/ListApplications
Washington Headquarters Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493678800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/12/2018 to 03/16/2018
Salary: $134,789 to $164,200 per year
Pay scale & grade: GG 15
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent